Weather Web Sites
- http://www.tvweather.com - Links to current and past weather around the world
- http://www.accuweather.com - Forecasts for many cities worldwide.
- http://www.weatherunderground.com - Good coverage of Africa and Australia
- http://www.worldclimate.com/climate/index.htm - World data base
of temperature and rainfall.
- http://members.nbci.com/rain00/weatab9.html - A site that provides forecast maps for Africa, including
moisture and precipitation forecasts up to 6 days in advance. Some expertise in meteorology would be
helpful in interpreting the maps and judging the reliability of the predictions.
- http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/meteosat - Nottingham University site for obtaining satellite imagery over
- http://www.sat.dundee.ac.uk/pdus/ - Another site for satellite imagery for Africa, this time from Dundee
University. Select the AV subdirectory for visual images and the AI subdirectory for infrared pictures.
Images for other places in the world are also available.
- http://weather.iafrica.com.na/ - The Namibian Meteorological Service, but it seems to point mostly to
the South African Weather Service.
- http://www.zamnet.zm/weather.html - A site for forecasts from the Zambian
- http://weather.utande.co.zw/dbase/zim-weather.idc - The Zimbabwean
Weather Service. Short and medium range forecasts for major centres, including Bulawayo.
- http://www.weathersa.co.za/ - The South African Weather Service, a good place to get maps, forecasts
(out to 14 days!), satellite images (pointed to Nottingham) and many other products.
- http://www.bom.gov.au - An excellent web site maintained by the Australian Bureau of Meteorology.
Satellite images, climatology, surface pressure analyses, and sunshine maps are all available. This is the
site to monitor on eclipse day if an internet connection is available. Note that the Japanese geostationary
satellite that provides images over Australia has recently been configured to transmit fewer pictures in order
to extend its lifetime a few more years.
Table of Contents